[Grml] Re: Re: Wishlist: automount by names

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 12:26:45 CEST 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:26:54 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

>> In other words, I want to mount my HD/USB devices not by UUIDs but by
>> labels. Eg. the disk partition labeled os12 would always mounted on
>> /mnt/os12.
>
> That's what I already mentioned and demonstrated:

Oh, forgot to mention I tried it before post. Guess I need further setup
for it to work...

> Mounting by label already works (see my demo). An entry like:
>
>   LABEL=foo /mnt/foo auto .....
>
> in fstab would (IMO) cause more problems than the current:

Totally agree. I hate entries like "LABEL=..." in fstab.

>   /dev/hda2 /mnt/foo auto .....
>
> does.

Is it the new grml0.8 feature? That's exactly what I want. grml0.7 used to
be

/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 auto .....

> The implementation would be something like:
>
>   # for label in /dev/disk/by-label/* ; mkdir /mnt/$(basename $label)

hmm.... that won't work. As shown in my example. /dev/disk/by-label/ is
only populated when a disk is mounted. So you didn't see the full list of
my os partions.

>> Now for USB pens:
>> =================
>
>> It should be taken care of by pmount-hal. According to Florian Kulzer:
>
>> ,-----
>> | ... you will not need fstab entries for pluggable devices anymore.
>> | Devices will be mounted at the correct mount point automatically. Even
>> | better, if you use the "pmount-hal" command then the devices will be
>> | mounted by their volume label so that you can address each medium
>> | unambiguously and independent of the order in which you attached them.
>> | This is also fully integrated in e.g. KDE and Gnome.
>> `-----
>
> pmount-hal requires running dbus/hald. Not an option for the default
> behaviour of grml for me at the moment.
>
> grml's udev solution for usb pens works for me. Just run 'mount
> /mnt/external1' and usually that's it. Plain and simple. Mounting by label
> is possible anyway and pmount-hal exists on grml too. What are missing
> therefore? :)

The default behavior of the grml's udev solution for usb pens works for
you but might not work for others. For example, I have 2 usb pens, one has
no partition, so I can't use /mnt/external1; whereas the 2nd has 3
partitions, in which grml's solution is not enough.