[Grml] fglrx victory

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 30 18:30:29 CEST 2006

* Martin Yazdzik <yazdzik at nyct.net> [20060829 20:15]:

> As y ou can see from the attached, I have 3d working.

> I cheated - since the xorg log error was "unable to find screen" I took
> my working file from grml 7 and simple copied it.

Ok.

> The differences are:
> Working:
[...]
> Non-wokring:
[...]

JFTR: It's much easier to compare two extra files than compare
(wrapped) text inside mails. ;)

> Since the screen is correctly identified in the non-working file as
> 1920x1200, which is in fact the current and functioning resolution, and
> the olny other difference appears to the the default bit depth, I am
> perplexed.

Yes, it's just "DefaultColorDepth 24" in the "Working" xorg.conf
versus "DefaultColorDepth 16" in the "Non-wokring" xorg.conf.

The identified modes (1920x1200, 1024x768,...) are not used at all
(they are deactivated as indicated by the '#' sign), so I'm confused
too. ;) Seems to be a change in kernel and/or fglrx drivers. *hmpf*

Thanks for your investigations and report, Martin!

> Thanks for all the help, hard work, and sheer brilliance.

You are welcome. :)