[Grml] Wishlist: automount by names

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Aug 30 17:48:15 CEST 2006

* T <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20060830 16:29]:

> I know grml can (re)generate fstab on boot each time. However, I'd like to
> access my partitions by their names instead of sda7, sda12, which I have
> no way to remember. So I have to disable the automatic fstab generation
> on boot.

> I hope that grml can utilize the automount, as knopsis does, and use udev
> to access them by their names, ie disk labels.

> The bonus is that USB drives will be taken care of as well by this.

> Would this happen in near future, or I'm out of luck and have to find the
> way to do it myself.

Sorry, I don't understand your problem. :)

If you are using filesystem labels just mount them using:

mount -L $LABEL /mnt/test

If you need stable root devices you can use UUIDs as well:
http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2006/08/11/stable-root-device-aka-uuid/

What do you mean with automount and "use udev to access them by
their names"? What should /etc/fstab look like in your opinion?
Did I miss what you are searching for? :)

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/