[Grml] RE: Grml Website Down

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Aug 26 12:05:19 CEST 2006

* Mark <27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com> [20060821 09:15]:

> > The grml website is still down at 0700 CDT here in the US. Maybe we
> > should all make a donation to help support the web space.

> Good idea.  Has anyone said it's a bandwidth problem outside of IRC?
> Public announcements should also go to the mailing list.

Full ACK. That's why I was happy to be able to provide grml.org, the
mailinglists, the wiki, the BTS and develblog on different servers, so
status information and user support is possible in (nearly) any case.

As I had no possibility to check the server myself I could not
provide any public information on my own. ;) But future will bring
enhancements:

> Open-source mirrors exist with high bandwidth for free.  Sourceforge is
> popular, Google started one, Europe has its own.  And free Linux mirrors
> everywhere.  Many universities in the Americas sponsor them.  Using a
> source mirror doesn't lock you into their development tools,
> necessarily.  You can just rsync to them.

> The grml repos being down makes working on grml problematic.

ACK

I'll spend money for a new server in the next few weeks at a
differnet provider (just searching for a good offer). Some
www-/rsync-mirrors already exist but I'd like to have a better
system anyway in the future. Expect news in the next few weeks.

Again, sorry for the downtime. I'll give my very best to avoid such
situations in the future - even if I'm on vacation. ;)

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/