[Grml] grml 0.8: how to use my 3com pcmcia card?

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Wed Aug 16 09:56:59 CEST 2006

Michael Prokop schrieb am 15.08.2006 22:37:

>> Booting with 'grml nofstab keyboard=de lang=de' causes "Waitung for /dev to
>> be fully populated... done" to be the last line on the screen for a long
>> time (> 15 min.). After 40 minutes I read "ACPI Bios found", but now I have
>> to go to a colleague's farewell party ;-)
>
> Ok, seems to be a problem with a specific driver. Does booting with
> "grml noudev nofstab lang=de" work for you? Disclaimer: many drivers
> won't be loaded automatically then. I'm not yet sure whether it's
> udev (with a specific driver) or another startup script causing the
> problems.
>
> This screenshot shows a typical startup of grml:
>
>   http://grml.org/tmp/gkrellShoot_08-15-06_223409.png
>
> Can you please point me to the line which you see right before it's
> hanging?
The boot hangs between the lines
Waiting for /dev to be fully populated... done.
(line 5 in your screenshot when " * Merging..." is counted as 1) and
Cleaning up ifupdown... done.
(line 6) The "done." in line 5 appers quickly, it's really *after*
*finishing* this line. The CD drive is accessed several times during the
waiting period.

> JFYI: If you use lang=de you don't need keyboard=de anymore. :)
Aaaahhh :-) so always typing kezboard is unnecessary :-)

> regards,
> -mika-

The problem only occurs on this special laptop. I had grml up and running
on my vmware in about 1 minute (given 256 MB RAM). Since I put the laptop
into a server room yesterday I can't test now - it takes quarter an hour to
walk over and back, and 1 hour to boot from CD :-(
Booting from harddisk is as fast as can be on this machine (Celeron
Mendocino 366, 64 MB RAM). So it may be a problem of modprobing - although
I manually inserted a lot of lines into /etc/modules now...

Cheers,
Werner

- --
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
UFZ Umweltforschungszentrum Leipzig-Halle GmbH,
Permoserstr. 15 - 04318 Leipzig
Tel.: (0341) 235-3921 - Fax (0341) 235-453921
http://www.ufz.de - eMail: werner.flamme at ufz.de