[Grml] grml 0.8: how to use my 3com pcmcia card?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Aug 15 11:30:10 CEST 2006

* Werner Flamme <werner.flamme at ufz.de> [20060815 11:12]:
> Michael Prokop schrieb am 14.08.2006 20:39:
> > * Werner Flamme <werner.flamme at ufz.de> [20060814 17:15]:

> >> I just installed grml 0.8 on a Toshiba Satellite 4070CDT. There is no
> >> internal network card, so I use a pcmcia card, 3com's 589. The main problem
> >> of this machine are 64 MB RAM :-(

> > Does booting with 'pci=assign-busses' help?

> > If not, can you please run grml-hwinfo and send me (off the list)
> > the resulting info.tar.bz2?

> thank you for your assistance :-) I solved the problem in the meantime. In
> /etc/modules, I now have the lines:

> yenta_socket
> pcmcia_core
> pcmcia
> firmware_class
> rsrc_nonstatic
> 3c589_cs
> evdev
> fuse
> donauboe
> snd_es1968
> radio_maestro

> And now "ifconfig eth0 ..." does not complain any more :-) and "apt-get
> upgrade" is running... "hwinfo --pcmcia" and "hwinfo --netcards" work fine
> now. Seems to be a difference between modprobing after boot and including
> into boot process...

Ok. Seems to be a race-condition somewhere in the kernel drivers.
Let's see whether an upcoming kernel version fixes it.

> BTW, it took more than 3 hours to boot from CD. Especially the creation of
> /etc/fstab seemed to work endless.

Huh. What system (especially: what harddisks) do you have?
'grml nofstab' boots fine, right?

> Does it scan the whole disk? Shouldn't it be enough to read the
> partition table?

No, it does not scan the whole disk of course. scanpartitions just
takes a look at /proc/partitions, tries to identify the filesystems
on the available partitions and reports them in an appropriate
format for rebuildfstab, which tries to build an appropriate
/etc/fstab then.

I'd like to find out what's going on on your system.
Can you please boot your system with 'grml nofstab', run grml-hwinfo
and send me the resulting info.tar.bz2 (off the list)?
If you manually run 'scanpartitions' - is it what runs that long?