[Grml] Re: fun with x

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 10:28:32 CEST 2006

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 11:02:36 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> Well, grml-x currently does not use "get-edid | parse-edid" but uses just
> hwinfo and the mechanisms of X-server itself.
>
> The main problem is: who can you trust? To give you an example how
> unreliable all the X-server stuff is take a look at my box:
>
> # get-edid | parse-edid
> [...]
> The EDID data should not be trusted as the VBE call failed Error: output
> block unchanged
> parse-edid: IO error reading EDID

May I suggest that if "get-edid | parse-edid" can return valid results,
use it as the first choice? I just run it and found that it is much
meaningful them my current xorg.conf result, which uses screen[0] and
device[0].

FYI, what is automatically detected from my system:

-----------------------------
        VBE version 200
        VBE string at 0x11110 "ATI RADEON 9200"

        Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
        Monitor and video card combination supports DDC2 transfers
        0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
        Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Section "Monitor"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        Identifier "SyncMaster"
        VendorName "SAM"
        ModelName "SyncMaster"
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
        HorizSync 30-71
        VertRefresh 50-160
        # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 110 MHz
        # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
        # Block type: 2:0 3:ff
        # DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:no  Standby:no

        Mode    "1024x768"      # vfreq 84.997Hz, hfreq 68.677kHz
                DotClock        94.500000
                HTimings        1024 1072 1168 1376
                VTimings        768 769 772 808
                Flags   "+HSync" "+VSync"