[Grml] How to use Splashscreen grml Scripts

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri Apr 28 12:40:58 CEST 2006

* Keller Florian <Florian.Keller at zuerich.ch> [20060428 12:15]:

> First of all I want thank you for this great Live CD. Best one I
> know at the moment and I've used Many (slax, knoppix, whoppix,
> ....).

Good to hear :)

> There is only one thing that I miss in german called Modularität
> *g* like Slax Distro.

What exactly are you missing? Or better: what do you want to do? :-)

> Your Monitor Detections Script are the best I've ever seen. So now to my Problem:

> I'm currently remastering grml v0.8 to use it as a VPN Remote Connect Boot CD. I've seen you
> allready made some script for using Splashscreen while booting.

> /etc/init.d/splash.sh and /usr/bin/splash_grml.sh

> And also you using runlevel.conf script instead of rc.d symlinks. But if I integrate the splash.sh
> Script I didnt see the Framebuffer Loading Screen. So could someone explain me how to install
> this usefull stuff, would be nice.

So what you want to get is a splash while booting the grml live-cd?

I wrote the splash-stuff basically just-for-fun a while ago and
never announced it officially because grml boots faster than loading
the framebuffer-powered splash. 8-)

You don't have to do anything on your own to use the splash feature,
just boot using 'grml splash'. But you will notice that loading the
splash stuff takes a while. The reason is that grml is running stuff in
background and parallel as far as possible to minimize bootup time.
userspace. :-/

Evaluating fbsplash (see
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/) is on my todo
list. If you have any ideas how to improve the splash feature please
let me know.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/