[Grml] Ubuntu = poor boot-time example

Mark or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Nov 29 04:09:47 CET 2005

Something scared me on GRML's to-do list.

   http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=todo

   Todo for grml 0.6
   Ubuntu's FasterBoot

The reason I am "scared" is that GRML is light years beyond Ubuntu in
live booting (w/hardware detection).  Ubuntu should be learning from
GRML, not vice-versa.

Ubuntu took 7 times longer to boot my workstation than Knoppix (let
alone GRML).  Others report similar results,
http://www.osnews.com/permalink.php?news_id=11998&comment_id=36650

Ubuntu developers admit their live boot stuff is a huge mess,
unmaintainable, and will be scrapped.  That's what their "FasterBoot"
initiative is partly about.  But GRML is already there!

I like very much GRML's pure-Debianized-Knoppix approach, which is so
much faster and better than Ubuntu's modified-Morphix-Gnoppix junk.
GRML gives all benefits of Knoppix without drawbacks in terms of Debian
standards.

Mark