[Grml] Re: USB boot success: grml-big-0.5 + grml2hd-0.5.5

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Nov 23 22:50:19 CET 2005

* Mark <or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com> [20051123 22:29]:
> > > It's just as much work to avoid copying specific files as it is
> > > to copy-all and then delete them.

> > Saving some few MB when copying >2GB
> > compared with the code complexity such a solution would have, is
> > nothing anyone of us will implement. grml2hd should stay small,
> > maintainable and therefor stable.

> I agree, grml2hd should stay small, maintainable, and stable.
> The code complexity is greater now.

> It's not a question of saving a few MB; it's a question of creating
> user systems that are not bogged down with complexities (extra
> services) they don't need which are also open for hacker attack.

Exactly therefor the script 'remove-packages-server' exists and is
integrated into grml2hd. The modularity allows to run
remove-packages-server even on the harddisk installation, absolutely
independent from grml2hd.

> I don't see how copy-some is more complex than delete-some.
> They are equivalent.

No.

Using the existing, working package management is less complex and
easier to mantain than rewriting a 'cp -a /from /to' to exclude
specific files.

> Sure, it's easier to do copy-all; but the script also does delete-some
> after that.  If it just did copy-some, it would not need delete-some.
> So it saves a step and reduces complexity.

No, the copy-some would add complexity. If you don't believe me just
read the source.

> I did not get an impression of stability from the delete-some step.
> There were tons of errors and warnings, confusing questions, etc.
> I went over that in a prior message.

As long as it does not fail it's not an error but a warning.
Warnings are kind of normal behaviour. They just let you know that
there *might* be something which *might* lead into problems ("I
expected foo but received bar"). As long as it does not fail -
therefor interrupts - it's not a problem at all. If you are not used
to see warnings, you either aren't used to Debian or your Distro
hides such stuff from you.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
grml-solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/