[Grml] mplayer in grml

Andreas Gredler jimmy at g-tec.co.at
Sun Sep 26 01:46:56 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:07:06PM +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> But we are not sure what would be the consequences if grml provides
> mplayer (and w32codecs?). Is it not to be compliant to DSFG (Debian
> Free Software Guidelines) so it can't be considered as a CDD (Custom
> Debian Distribution) or are there any (other/more) legal issues we
> should think of?

I was googling again to find more information about mplayer packaging.
There are a lot of postings about it and it seems that debian doesn't
include mplayer because the source code was not checked for licensing
issues by the mplayer developers. So the mplayer developers didn't care
about licenses and debian didn't care about checking their source code.
My suggestion is to check the source code ourselves. No, not the code
itself :-) We should just download the source and look for information
about licenses/patents.

greets Jimmy

Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler, jimmy at g-tec.co.at
Get my public key at www.g-tec.co.at