[Grml-devel] [grml-debootstrap] Should /etc/network/interfaces be copied from the host by default?

Darshaka Pathirana dpat at syn-net.org
Sat Mar 2 20:36:51 CET 2019

Hi,

before creating an issue on GitHub I would like to hear your opinion
on this subject. This is a follow up of this:

[1] https://github.com/grml/grml-debootstrap/issues/126

`grml-debootstrap` by default copies `/etc/network/interfaces` from
the host to the target system.

Debian/stretch+ uses Predictable Network Interface Names by default
whereas the current Grml release (currently 2018.12) still uses the
traditional/legacy interface name (eth0).

When deploying a Debian/stretch system out of the latest Grml release
(currently 2018.12) we have the situation that the
`/etc/network/interfaces` file from the host is copied to the target
system which then will boot with no network connection because no
Predictable Network Interface Names are configured in it.

We should discuss if deploying the host `/etc/network/interfaces` file
by default is (still) the best approach. I would vote for a new option
like `--hostinterfaces` which does that and go for
`--defaultinterfaces` as the new default option.

What do you think?

Regards,
 - Darsha