[Grml-devel] First Release Candidate of Grml version 2014.03 released

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue Mar 25 12:48:56 CET 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 09:20:07AM +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
> > Started it via grml-rescueboot on my EeePC 900A.
>
> > The font in the boot menu seems to be truncated at the bottom of each
> > line, especially the letters g, p and y are cut off at the font's base
> > line.
>
> > Interestingly this is not the case in the help text below the menu,
> > i.e. the "y" in "E to edit menu entry" looks fine. (This does not
> > happen if I use grub-imageboot, only with grml-rescueboot. The menu
> > looks different, like syslinux vs grub or so.)
>
> That's strange.

The font issue or the different boot loaders?

> > If I choose "copy grml to RAM" I get an error message about something
> > with "error: null src bitmap in grub_video_bitmap_create_scaled" and
> > "Press any key to continue", but it continues after 5 seconds or such
> > anyway (took me several reboots to manually copy the message) and
> > boots grml without further issues. Does not happen if I use the
> > default boot entry.
>
> Hm ok, which grub version are you using here?

The one currently in Debian Unstable, 2.02~beta2-7.

> > Starting X works fine, but Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't work. Need to
> > use the menu of the window manager.
>
> Ok, that might need further configuration to work again with recent
> X.org versions.

.oO( Sounds familiar. :-)

> > gcc-4.7-base and libprocps0 can be removed without harm, they're no
> > more needed. (procps depends on libprocps3 nowadays and there's no
> > gcc-4.7 left on the system.)
>
> They seem to be brought in via depends/suggests/... since there's no
> explicit dependency on it in grml-live, needs investigation.

Haven't grml running currently but "aptitude search
'?depends(gcc-4.7-base) ~i'" or "aptitude search
'?recommends(gcc-4.7-base) ~i'" should help to find the culprit.

> > debconf-i18n (> 1 MB) can probably removed, too.
>
> Same here

If you install recommends by default, this looks obvious to me:
debconf recommends debconf-i18n.

> > iproute (transitional package to iproute2) could be removed, if
> > grml-shlib, isc-dhcp-client and vlan wouldn't still depend on it.
> > grml-hwinfo still recommends it. (At least the grml-* packages could
> > be fixed by grml. :-)
>
> grml-shlib already uses "iproute2 | iproute" in its Depends, so
> nothing to do here from my PoV.

Ah, sorry, I just looked at the reverse dependencies, but not how
they specify it. My fault, I just saw a transitional package and
looked at its reverse dependencies.

> > Does grml really need tasksel and tasksel-data? (> 1,2 MB together)
>
> Nope, wondering which packages brings that in... thanks

Similar aptitude commands as above may help here, too. I've run the
following on a machine with Stable, Testing and Unstable in its
sources.list:

$ aptitude search '( ?recommends(tasksel) | ?depends(tasksel) | ?suggests(tasksel) ) !^task !-tasks$'
i A aptitude      - terminal-based package manager
p   aptitude:i386 - terminal-based package manager
c   aptitude-gtk  - terminal-based package manager (GUI and terminal interfaces)
p   dpkg-www      - Web based Debian package browser
p   synaptic      - Graphical package manager
p   synaptic:i386 - Graphical package manager

If grml pulls in Suggests by default, it's likely aptitude. I've found
no other explanation so far.

> > The following transitional packages can be safely removed:
>
> > * libblas3gf
>
> Seems to be pulled in via a package

IIRC libblas3gf and libblas3 are often used in alternative
dependencies.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)