[Grml-devel] First Release Candidate of Grml version 2014.03 released

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue Mar 25 01:14:48 CET 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:03:36PM +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
> so we did it again, the first release candidate of the upcoming Grml
> version 2014.03, code-named 'Ponywagon' was released.
[...]
> Please test the ISOs and everything you usually use and report back

Choosing 32 bit full on http://grml.org/download/prerelease/ worked
fine, but clicking on "Get Checksum/Signature" brought me to
http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/grml//devel/grml32-full_2014.03-rc1.iso.sha1.asc
which gave a 404.

Started it via grml-rescueboot on my EeePC 900A.

The font in the boot menu seems to be truncated at the bottom of each
line, especially the letters g, p and y are cut off at the font's base
line.

Interestingly this is not the case in the help text below the menu,
i.e. the "y" in "E to edit menu entry" looks fine. (This does not
happen if I use grub-imageboot, only with grml-rescueboot. The menu
looks different, like syslinux vs grub or so.)

If I choose "copy grml to RAM" I get an error message about something
with "error: null src bitmap in grub_video_bitmap_create_scaled" and
"Press any key to continue", but it continues after 5 seconds or such
anyway (took me several reboots to manually copy the message) and
boots grml without further issues. Does not happen if I use the
default boot entry.

Starting X works fine, but Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't work. Need to
use the menu of the window manager.

> PS: As you might notice the ISOs increased again (e.g. from ~350MB
> to 400MB for grml-full), if someone is interested in reducing the
> ISO we welcome any patches, concrete feedback,..

gcc-4.7-base and libprocps0 can be removed without harm, they're no
more needed. (procps depends on libprocps3 nowadays and there's no
gcc-4.7 left on the system.)

debconf-i18n (> 1 MB) can probably removed, too.

iproute (transitional package to iproute2) could be removed, if
grml-shlib, isc-dhcp-client and vlan wouldn't still depend on it.
grml-hwinfo still recommends it. (At least the grml-* packages could
be fixed by grml. :-)

xcursor-themes seems just convenience. It's not needed if X's default
cursors are fine. grml-x works fine without for me. (Or is it needed
for people with visual disabilities?)

Does grml really need tasksel and tasksel-data? (> 1,2 MB together)

The following transitional packages can be safely removed:

* libblas3gf
* lynx
* libertas-firmware

The above (without iproute) saves about 7 MB over all according to
aptitude.

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe at deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | abe at noone.org (Mail+Jabber)