[Grml-devel] Package request: gnupg2

Hendrik Jaeger grml at henk.geekmail.org
Mon Feb 25 22:28:50 CET 2013

Hi Richard,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:43:23 +0100
Richard Hartmann <richih.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not a direct solution but to put two walk arounds on record:
>
> 1) boot GRML to RAM and install needed packages from Debian unstable.

Might work, but requires a network connection as well as download and
installation of packages via that network. Which is exactly what we
want to avoid …

> 2) stop graphical ui, stop database etc daemons, remount / read-only,
> and write key to ram disk.
>
> Richard
>
> PS: what kind of smart card is sold as secure and does not support
> on-card key generation?

I don’t know.
But I assume it’s a rhetorical question, so: Generation on-card is
possible, but making backups is impossible that way. I would not need a
live system if I wanted to go that way but could just use the system I
use on a daily basis as it would not matter if the system is
compromised or not …

Thank you very much for the suggestion though. I’m sure it’s good to
have that method on record.

Best regards

henk