[Grml-devel] About the new grml direction

Christian Hofstaedtler ch at grml.org
Mon Jan 2 13:38:00 CET 2012

* Marc Haber <mh+grml-devel at zugschlus.de> [120102 11:35]:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 01:22:21AM +0100, Christian Hofstaedtler wrote:
> > * Marc Haber <mh+grml-devel at zugschlus.de> [120101 23:45]:

> > > Nice idea. How about an option to copy to ram in the background?
> > >
> > > What do I do on old systems that only have 512 MB RAM?
> >
> > Use an old release.
>
> With old security-bugs? I don't like that idea at all.

I obviously don't understand your use case.

I thought this was about having an arch-specific Grml ISO in /boot
for rescue purposes.

Where about the only things that matter are kernel and ssh. Both have
been unpatched for the time since the last release anyway, which was up
to 6+ months, depending on the release, and how often you update
your ISOs.

Where there have been no such grave bugs in these software
pieces in the past, that this was completely acceptable to everyone.

> > > That doesn't help too much for systems that are already installed.
> >
> > 1GB is enough for kernels, initrds and Grml.
>
> Are you aware how big kernel debug infos are?

Installing linux-image-3.1.0-1-amd64-dbg did not change the size of
/boot for me.
I keep an old grml64 (full, so 700M) in /boot, and total size is
<750M.

  -ch

--
christian hofstaedtler