[Grml-devel] Statement regarding the Grml "reset" with 2011.12 release

Tom {Tomcat} Oehser tom at toms.net
Wed Dec 28 23:06:09 CET 2011

> you might have noticed the rumble in the Grml community about the
> new "install & rescue" mission of Grml and the dropped grml-small
> and 700MB ISOs.

Hi, this is Tom Oehser.  I created something sort of similar to Grml
in a far away time and place, called "tomsrtbt", so I have some bit
of experience with rescue-focused distributions.

I'm totally supportive of the refocusing, but my challenge is that
rescue is, if nothing else, very unpredictable.  One can't say what
will go wrong or what tools are needed.  I consider it axiomatic for
*rescue* systems that they should cram as many functions as possible
onto the rescue media, with the obvious exception of gui fluff etc.
That even includes some development tools to rebuild or link, some
network analysis, lots of disk and tape and filesystem stuff, various
scripting things to run scripts from mounted broken filesystems, the
forensic stuff is a natural fit as anything forensic might help with
rescue diagnostics, support for all the various backup formats, etc.

> If you care about Grml and would like to see grml-small, grml-xl,...

Definitely what I want is grml-xl as far as having all packages that
just might be necessary in a rescue situation.  I'm willing to start
to get involved with the idea that I might be able to help.  I don't
want to look for something else.  Grml was an instant hit with me as
before Grml I would boot Knoppix or an Ubuntu live cd and then use
Aptitude to install lzop buffer atop dstat nc and cetera - Grml just
magically had all the things I was using already.  I also recognize
that just sticking with .05 is a proposition that will become less
attractive as time passes.  And I'd certainly rather contribute back
to the project than fork it...

-Tom

--
"Let us do our duty in our shop or our kitchen, the market, the street, the
office, the school, the home, just as faithfully as if we stood in the front