[Grml-devel] About the new grml direction

Brad Cable brad at bcable.net
Tue Dec 27 21:25:08 CET 2011

I have been running GRML as my main desktop for well over 5 years now,
and I actually welcome their new changes.

The reason for that is that they have developed a great tool,
grml-live, that installs and repackages new ISOs really easily.  Make
sure to get the updated version, though, as I poked quite a few holes
in the one that got released with 2011.12.

I'm now currently running on a 800 MB image that has GRML_XL as well
as additional packages that I personally want, which makes it even
more flexible than it was before.

Granted, it's a little silly that you have to use this repackaging
tool to get a 700 MB ISO, but that can be tricky if trying to get the
exact size right with a certain amount of packages.

Because I use this environment all the time, I would be willing to
step up and control GRML_XL, at least from time to time update it.
I've already reported a few changes (remove ccrypt, hotkey-setup,
sslscan, zoidberg), but GRML_XL will work with their new grml-live,
and it should be ~700 MB.

I can't promise the quality, though, if I were to manage it.  I don't
really keep up to date with new Debian packages so if I were to do
this I would need a bunch of people telling me what they want on it.
I also have a ton on my plate, but releasing twice a year isn't so
bad.

Just some thoughts.

-Brad