[Grml-devel] About the new grml direction

Alexander Wirt formorer at grml.org
Tue Dec 27 16:45:53 CET 2011

Hi folks,

as announced on IRC some thoughts about the new grml direction.

For me grml was always an all purpose live cd for text users and zsh addicts.
I always knew I could just load a grml a I would have a more or less complete working
environment afterwards. On the other hand I was able to just use grml-small
if I needed a live cd just for booting and chrooting into the usual
environment (i.e. for restoring the bootloader) or use -small as a base for
my own customisations.

Unfortunatly these assumptions aren't valid anymore. IMHO it is not a good
idea to focus on rescue environments. GRML was known for two things: the
great collection of well prepared text tools and their release names. I don't
think focussing on release names as the only unique feature is a good idea.
There are rescue systems like ten a penny.

Also wasting 350 mb of space on a cd is a (imho) stupid thing.

I want my old grml-small and -full back. And as it seems I am not alone.

It is not my style to just whine. So what do I have to do to get my old grml
back? Yeah my time is limited, but anyhow I have to try. I don't want to lose
my beloved grml tool.

Alex

P.S. When was the decision of dropping all flavours but this 350 meg flavour
done? I didn't mentioned it until the release.