[Grml-devel] Unittests for grml

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Mar 31 10:45:08 CEST 2010

* Ulrich Dangel <mru at grml.org> [Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 08:24:18PM +0200]:

> I am happy to announce that we now have unit tests for grml. This means it is
> possible to automatically test at software like grml2hd, grml2usb and
> grml-autoconfig at runtime on the iso in an automated way.

> Please provide comments about the whole idea, if it is worthwhile in your
> opinion, what should be changed and if it is a good idea to use this kind of
> automated testing for an live cd.

As you know I consider this an awesome feature.

I'd like to be able to run automated unittests based on our daily
ISOs on an according host once a day as soon as we've the according
infrastructure available.

I think writing unittests for all our important features is worth
the effort and in the long run I'd like to see new features added
to Grml only if they have an according unit test.

I think this unit tests feature through Grml might be interesting
for other projects as well, because they can test their own software
stuff without any risks - even if it's pretty hardware related like
all the partitioning, installation and deployment stuff. Oh and
thanks to grml-live they can easily build their own live system if
the software isn't shipped as part of Grml. :)