[Grml-devel] Formalisation of grml team member status

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Tue Mar 30 02:11:44 CEST 2010

Hi,
currently we do not have an defined status for the grml devs
and contributors. But as grml is evolving and getting bigger and
more contributors come up there is at least in my opinion a need for
a formalization of the several grml team states. This prevents
smouldering discontent as it is clear why someone is listed as a team member
and why someone not.

Please understand that i don't want to introduce additional red tape
so there is atm in my understanding no need for a committee or
a specific process.

Following groups should exist (groups are only used to distinguish between the
work)

Developer
===========
Person with write access to at least one repository. Has expertise in his
field and provided good and ongoing contributions to grml.

Administrator
===============
Person taking care of the grml infrastructure like servers, mirrors and all
that kind of stuff no one notice while its running but everyone complains if
it stops working ;0

Additional groups can and shall be created if there is a need for it, e.g.
Artists and Translators.

Only members of these groups shall be public listed as grml team members.
This means that the old contributor list should be removed as it is quite
difficult to understand why someone who contributed multiple stuff in the past
is listed under team but another person contributed as much as the other is
not listed.

To emphasize the work of contributers they should always be listed in the grml
changelog entries (already done in recent versions), package changelog entries
and THANKS/contributor file in the debian package. A global thanks file could
be introduced listing all grml versions with the specific contributors.

To make a long story short my proposal:
* Remove all listed developer who do not have
  write access to at least one repository
* Remove all listed contributors on the team website.
* Move persons taking care of the infrastructure to the admin group

Oh and just to be sure this means I prefer the linux developing way, e.g. not
many people with direct write access to the repositories. Developers have a
gatekeeper functionality, taking care of patches from contributors.

Please discuss this proposal even if you are not listed under the team page as
I want to have an more transparent open grml development.

regards,
Ulrich