[Grml-devel] Working with git and sending in patches

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Mon Jun 7 07:58:37 CEST 2010

* Tong Sun wrote [07.06.10 02:56]:
Hi,

> - work on the code, commit, hack, commit, hack, commit -- commit often &
> commit small

Would be good, but this is your private workflow. You can do whatever
you liket there. But it makes life easier.

> - when AOK and need to integrate patches into main branch, squash all
> patches into one
>
>   git rebase -i origin/master

Not all patches but logical changes.

> Now, question, having following the above, I am having problem pulling in
> the latest master from head:
>
> $ git pull
> [ . . . ]
> try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
> See git-pull(1) for details.
>
> $ git pull git://git.grml.org/grml-debootstrap master
> [ merge worked ]
> CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in grml-debootstrap
> Auto-merging grml-debootstrap.8.txt
> Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
>
> So,
>
> - what's the normal steps here to pulling in the latest master from head?
> - how to solve the above specific problem? I'm thinking just to abandon this
> directory and pull from git from scratch again.

git pull does an git fetch and git merge. But in your first issue you
never specified which branch should be merged into.

Te problem with the second command is that you have some merge conflict
here. Have a look at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/161813/how-do-i-fix-merge-conflicts-in-git
how to fix it.

regards,