[Grml-devel] Propose to centralize kernel specification for grml-live

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Jul 21 12:20:33 CEST 2010

* Tong Sun <suntong at cpan.org> [Wed Jul 21, 2010 at 12:02:09AM -0400]:

> Currently, the kernel is specified at multiple places under package_config:

> $ grep -c linux-image *
> GRMLBASE:0
> GRML_FULL:2
> GRML_MEDIUM:2
> GRML_POWERPC:0
> GRML_SMALL:2
> LATEX:0
> XORG:0

> This, IMHO, creates unnecessary complication for maintenance.

It was meant by intention: this way you can use GRMLBASE and your
own classes with the option to specify a separate kernel
image/version, though if you use e.g. GRML_MEDIUM it will provide
you a working setup (including a kernel :)).

> I think it is better to centralize kernel specification in one file, say,
> GRMLBASE, or KERNEL (or whatever).

> BTW, The following tested fine.

> $ cat KERNEL
> PACKAGES aptitude I386
> linux-image-2.6.33-grml

> PACKAGES aptitude AMD64
> linux-image-2.6.33-grml64

> CLASSES='GRMLBASE,KERNEL,...'

I thought of that as well, but the drawback of this approach is that
you aren't as flexible with specifying additional kernel packages
(addons like iscsitarget-module-2.6.33-grml[64]) for specific grml
flavours anymore.

Using "PACKAGES aptitude $GRML_FLAVOUR" inside the KERNEL class
would solve that, but makes the configuration even more tricky IMO.
And the usage examples from
http://grml.org/grml-live/#usage-examples wouldn't work anymore as
soon as someone forgets to specify a class featuring the kernel
packages. (And I'm very picky with regards to changing common
working behaviour. ;))

Do you know what I mean? What do you think?