[Grml-devel] Grml startup time

Ulrich Dangel mru at grml.org
Tue Apr 13 20:12:40 CEST 2010

Hi,
in my opinion the Grml startup is quite slow and I think we should
address this issue for the next release. (iirc 45 seconds inside kvm)

One and a quite easy but also a little problematic solution would be the
parallel execution of startup scripts. But afaik this is currently not
possible with file-rc but upstream (Hi Mika and formormer) is somehow
working on it.

The other and more easy solution would be parallelizise grml-autoconfig to
some point, e.g. run all scripts parallel by just adding & to the
function. Of course there have to be some exceptions like network should
not be done in the background as other scripts like net{script,config}
depends on it.

This could be easily done but does require carefully testing to not
break some usecases, e.g. do not change the order of netconfig/netscript
as they could depend on each other.

So my question is, is it worthwhile to put some effort into faster
startup? What else could be done (iso/squashfs sort)? Shall we switch to
dependency based booting at some point?

regards,
Ulrich